Lighting is more than just a tool to brighten a space, it has become an important element of design. They can create a certain mood, highlight important parts of a space, or even act as a key element of the overall interior design. Through this, lighting took on the role of a design statement.
The future of Scandinavian lighting design
- Strengthening sustainability: Scandinavian design has a deep connection with nature, which also influences sustainable design. Sustainability is expected to be enhanced through the use of more recycled materials and energy-efficient light sources.
- Technology Integration: As smart home technology and IoT evolve, Scandinavian lighting design will also actively integrate these technologies. This will increase user convenience and provide a more diverse lighting environment.
- Enhancing natural elements: Scandinavian design is rooted in nature. Therefore, it appears that these natural elements will be further enhanced through natural materials, shapes, and lighting that imitates natural light.
- User-centered design: Scandinavian design focuses on the user’s lifestyle and convenience. Therefore, it is expected that it will evolve to provide customized lighting according to the user’s behavior patterns or preferences.
- Focus on health and happiness: People in Scandinavia are known to have a high happiness index.
What are the characteristics of Scandinavian style lights?
- Simplicity and neatness: Scandinavian design excludes unnecessary decoration and focuses on the balance of function and form. This also appears in the lighting, and the lighting design has simple and sophisticated lines.
- Natural materials: Scandinavian design is deeply rooted in nature. Natural materials such as wood, metal, and glass are mainly used.
- Functionality: Scandinavian design is designed around living style and convenience. Therefore, Scandinavian lighting provides appropriate lighting and comes in various shapes and sizes depending on the space.
- Bright colors: Scandinavian design favors bright colors. Light colors such as white, gray and beige reflect the light and bright atmosphere of Scandinavian spaces.
- Modern feel: Scandinavian design favors designs that have a modern feel. Therefore, Scandinavian lighting gives a modern and sophisticated feel to the space.
There are several types of lighting used inside the home. Each type of lighting is used differently depending on the purpose and mood of a particular space.
The main lighting types are:
- General or Ambient Lighting: This is the basic lighting that illuminates the overall space. These include ceiling lights, flush mount lights, fan lights, track lights, etc.
- Task Lighting: This provides additional lighting needed to perform specific tasks. This includes desk lighting, kitchen cabinet lighting, and reading lights.
- Accent Lighting: This is used to highlight specific areas or create mood. These include wall lights, spotlights, and picture lights.
- Decorative Lighting: This is used to add aesthetic elements to a space. These include pendant lights, chandeliers, table lamps, candles, neon signs, etc.
- Outdoor Lighting: This is used to light the outside of the house, especially the garden, terrace, entrance, etc. These include garden lights, spot lights, post lights, and wall lights.
Each type of lighting plays an important role in determining the function and mood of a space. Therefore, selecting and placing the appropriate type of lighting is an important part of interior design.